Where It Will
Aug 19 2026
I was body-slammed
hit blindside
by tons of water
that flung my frail body
like a ragdoll in a maelstrom.
Left me flat on my back
with brine washing over me
as it drained from the rocky beach,
catching my breath
in the brief deceptive calm
before the next wave rolled in.
An ocean
gathering strength for thousands of miles,
and an inhospitable beach
on the the edge of a continent
— an immovable object
where a wall of water stops cold.
White-flecked surf
boiled off the steely waves
from the top of smoothly arching curves.
There was the squawk of gulls
smell of the sea
bone-chilling cold,
an acrid drip of brine
slipping through my lips
and tickling my nose.
A few hours
at a rocky beach
on a hot summer day.
Where wave after wave
kept pounding the shore,
as if the earth
had a beating heart
with saltwater in its veins.
Just as steadily.
Just as they have
for countless millennia.
Just as the small furry mammals we once were
might have heard the same hypnotic surf
smelled the same salty spray.
If awe comes from feeling small
in the face of something timeless
and too vast to comprehend
then this must be it;
swept off my feet
on a bed of rounded pebbles
waiting for the next inexorable wave
to take me where it will.
Frankly, I dislike ocean swimming: the smell, the waves, the saltiness. And who knows what you’ll find washed up by the tide! Give me a freshwater lake any day. So why this image came to me — a rocky N. Atlantic beach on the coast of Maine — I have no idea, especially since the last time I swam in the ocean was maybe 20 years ago. And that was in the Caribbean!
The theme, though, is predictably me: the indifference of nature, the smallness of man, and my own insignificance.
But big ideas are probably just an excuse to write in a way that captures feeling and describes an experience: a self-indulgent exercise in scene setting and evocative sentences. But since I doubt that descriptive poetry in and of itself can hold a reader or reward her investment in sticking with it, I hope I can offer something more impressionable than pretty pictures and a little story.

No comments:
Post a Comment