Friday, August 14, 2026

Instead of the News - Aug 11 2026

 

Instead of the News

Aug 11 2026


My life gets smaller.


As I age,

and complacency closes in

like a belt cinching tighter

a narrowed eye.


As I begin to fully understand

my insignificance 

against the vastness of the universe

and the magnitude of time.


As the world seems more and more consumed

by endless wars

needless cruelty

and a ravaged earth.


Which may be why

I find myself retreating into daily life

domesticity

my own company.

Thinking back

instead of planning and dreaming,

reading memoir and biography

instead of the news.


Curiously, the world goes on.

Turns out I didn’t need to stay informed

cultivate opinions

or feel so upset, incensed, repelled.


Because it was all in my head.


Because being so serious

didn’t move a mind

or change a thing,

left no impression

and will leave no legacy.


Because generations succeed

only to forget

as people drop right and left

however they lived,

idols topple

temples crumble

and tectonic plates shift.


Yes, I cared, even tried

at least a little

if that’s any defence.


But either way

the sun rose and set,

leaves budded, then fell,

and year followed year

indifferent to me.

The earth went on spinning

the galaxy circled

and the universe churned

as it’s always done;

cataclysms

of creative destruction 

too vast for me to see

too big to comprehend.


A self-indulgent meditation on the futility I suspect many of us feel. 

But it's not totally negative. I think it expressed a becoming humility. And ends with a sense of wonder, even awe.


No comments: