Thursday, August 13, 2026

Siren Song - Aug 2 2026

 

Siren Song

Aug 2 2026



My mother couldn’t resist a bargain.


I understand her frugality.

She was raised in the Great Depression,

and as a young wife with little kids

had to make do with what was left

after my father paid his men

serviced debt

and covered the overhead 

to keep his struggling business

from running into the rocks.


But sometimes, you can’t afford the savings.


I know, because I’m my mother’s son,

and the siren song of the deal

seduces me as well.

After all, only chumps pay retail,

and when life is unfair

getting an extra edge

can feel like it evens the score.


Stuff you didn’t need

in the first place.

Cheap stuff you end up replacing.

And the rush of talking the seller down

or scoring the upgrade

no charge.


As I’ve aged, instead of accumulating

I’ve come to do with less.

I’d rather travel light,

value what I have,

and walk softly on the earth

than be burdened by dust collectors

or rebuked by tchotchkes

just taking up space.

While my mother, frugal as she was

never learned to be a minimalist.


I saw what happened after she died

when all the stuff left behind

the family didn’t want

or couldn’t give away

was sent to the landfill

or left at my sister-in-law’s,

mildewed cardboard boxes

taking up room she doesn’t have.


I just hope my long departed mom 

spent those savings well.

Even knowing

that she didn’t like to spend

and didn’t do it very well.


No comments: