Saturday, June 3, 2023

See the Chest Rise and Fall - May 25 2023


See the Chest Rise and Fall

May 25 2023


The old dog

has claimed my unmade bed,

where she has made a nest

of rumpled blankets

and curled into a ball

fast asleep.


Which sounds wrong,

because nothing she does is fast;

the tireless dog

I could never hope to catch

now lolly-gags, dawdles, stops

inexplicably,

then stands

looking into the distance

through glazed rheumy eyes.

A moment of mild confusion

ignoring my calls.


Ribs show.

Muscle has melted off.

Her gorgeous coat is dull

and sheds in clumps.


I go to check on her again,

reassured

to see the chest rise and fall

hear regular raspy breaths.

My geriatric dog,

still dreaming big dreams

and yelping in her sleep.


I know she had a good life

and has outlived all expectations.

Nevertheless, she is my first dog,

so when death

could come at any time

it still breaks my heart.


But a good walk last night

and today she ate with gusto.

Not hoovering it up

and drilling through the bowl,

then imploring me for more

with those big brown eyes;

but still the hungry Lab

we know and love.


A good dog

I'm happy to let sleep.

And the day

I find her chest still

and hear only silence

I will give thanks

for a peaceful end.


As well as the mercy

she has no knowledge of death;

no fear

nor any suffering,

no sense of loss

for what she once was.


Such enviable innocence,

and no regrets

for a life well-lived.


No comments: