Friday, June 16, 2023

Cold Hard Metal - June 13 2023

 

Cold Hard Metal

June 13 2023



I've never fired a gun.

Never even held one.


Never felt

its cold hard metal

lethal weight.

The touch of the trigger

on a clammy finger

itching to be squeezed.


But I have been told

how pleasurable it is.

The heft

sound

kick,

target zeroed-in;

the beauty

in its spare functionality

precisely milled parts

tightly coupled action.


The power of a god

to change a life

in one decisive instant,

force multiplied

action at a distance.


The glint of a gun

like a warning shot.

And the man who carries it

like some petty god,

who believes himself immortal

but sadly is not.


While I was saving an article about the threat of right wing violence among Trump supporters – his avid followers, acolytes, believers, devotees, cultists, careerists, and opportunists – I glanced at the photo that accompanied the piece (see above). The moment I saw it, a podcast I recently heard came to mind and this poem immediately started to write itself.

In the podcast, an anti-gun person like me visited a shooting range and realized how truly enjoyable guns are. Who not only began to appreciate their appeal, but wanted to do it again!

I find nothing hypocritical in this: you can be a gun owner and still believe in sensible gun control!

(https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2023/06/trump-higgins-biggs-lake-violence/674380/)


No comments: