Saturday, June 3, 2023

Fear - May 26 2023

 

Fear

May 26 2023


When I was afraid of the dark,

and the monsters under the bed

would get me in my sleep.


When water over my head

panicked me,

and when I'd freeze

peering over the edge

from any kind of height.


Then, that summer, overnight camp,

and away from home

for the very first time.


Later, it was girls,

tongue-tied and flushed.

A shy child

too afraid

to make himself heard.


Fear

rules our lives;

mine in particular.

They say fear is good

that the fearless die young,

but to find yourself paralyzed

is no way to live.


So when I realized

I feared life more than death

and was keeping strictly to my comfort zone

I determined to take a chance.


Asking you out, for one.

And now, waiting to hear back.


No comments: