Monday, July 31, 2017

This poem was recently revised, and because it never appeared on the blog, it is now posted out of chronological order.



Out of the Blue
March 15 2009


The lightning came
from a clear blue sky.
An act of God, someone said.
I scoffed
Why, that’s just insurance talk
for no one’s responsible.
Why bring Him into it?”

Because while those mythic gods
messed about with vengeance
hurtled lightning bolts
lusted after mortals,
the prophetic God
leaves well enough alone.

It split an ancient oak,
singed branch, fallen
scarred trunk, curling smoke.
When it hit
I felt my hair frizz, skin prickle, muscles twitch,
then couldn’t remember
what year this is.

I awoke,
soaked with rain
the sting of hail
sky as grey as cinders.
A storm you could truly describe
as Biblical.

Now, we find it hard to trust
clear blue skies.
And wonder if the tree
will live, or die.
And are still surprised
there never was a rainbow

I have as much trouble remembering
as I did before.
I feel His absence
even more.

No comments: