Saturday, July 29, 2017

This poem was recently revised, and due to formatting problems has been re-posted out of chronological order.



Fishing Out of Season
Jan 27 2009


In a cold hard winter
I think about fish.

Black water
flat from lack of air.
Contained
under thick ice
under piles of virgin snow.
So sun-blind white
I can’t help tearing-up,
warm salt
sharp on my tongue.

I picture a man in a boat.
The lake is dead calm,
high noon heat
boiling-off.
I can see insects
skitter and spin
on its glassy surface
this way and that.
And for the unpredictable instant
in which they pause,
the tiny meniscus
tugging up each flimsy leg.
Invisible fish, angling up at them,
eyes goggling, puckered mouths.
The reflection hurts my eyes;
looking down
at puffs of cloud
a perfect sky.

Fishing is an act of faith -
line tossed, surface breaks,
the hooked bait
falling
into dark unknowable depths.
You must believe
the lake will provide;
an offering
for this patient man,
casting-out methodically
in hopes the fish will bite.

Sometimes, I wonder idly
what lurks in the depths
prowling beneath the boat.
When something hits --
                   and my reel whirrrs
                                                          line tightens
                                                                                   I’m over the side.

                                ~

                                      ~

                                             ~

                                                      ~

                                                              ~

            Into cold black water
                       down too deep for light.

No comments: