Sunday, July 16, 2017


Broken Cherry
July 11 2017














The week of cherries,
when I find myself tempted
by metaphor.

Life as a bowl.
Luscious flesh, buffed a bold
lascivious red.
The small hard stone
at its centre.

I imagine tractor-trailers
belching diesel, nose-to-tail
hauling them all the way here from Washington State
in their precious window of ripeness.

So tender fruit
appears on supermarket shelves
in glut of fragrant sweetness.
And in another week
dumpsters will reek of rot,
the cloying smell
of fermentation.

But for now, all I can say
is they are cherry-flavoured, cherry-red
despite my poetic pretensions.

And succulent, firm, virginal
with alluringly curving stems;
tender fruit, as metaphor
for uncorrupted sex.

Perishable fruit, like fleeting youth,
so bitter-sweet
in its transience.

No comments: