Saturday, July 29, 2017

This poem was recently revised, and because it was never originally posted to the blog, it now appears out of chronological order. 


Home
May 18 2008


The place I was born
is occupied by strangers.
And my parents, unsentimental
threw out box-after-box
moving on.
As I did, once;
so now I live
one time zone late.

Here, there are mountains
instead of lake,
and the streets are wider, straighter
with no secret places
from childhood.
So I feel off-kilter, some days,
wishing I could stand at the shore
lulled by waves
a steady fragrant breeze.

And if the world ends
it will be one hour later
- as if an hour was warning enough
to prepare.

The sun is the same, of course
but the light is different,
a thin pale glow
so things look cool, distant.
It’s the pure mountain air, they say
but I don’t know;
could be my eyes
just getting older.

I suppose I have lived here long enough
to call it home.
In this house,
where I keep my things,
where I go
to sleep,
and where days seem unnaturally brief
hemmed-in beneath the peaks.

No comments: