Friday, July 21, 2017


Anisoptera
July 19 2017






The dragonfly
alighted on my chest,
lingering there
like a finely jewelled ornament.
Seconds, that seemed endless
as I stilled myself and watched.

I know how ridiculous it is
to feel honoured
by the blithe trust of its tiny insect brain;
that I am merely surface
in its blinkered world-view.

Peering down
at the perfect symmetry
of exquisitely filigreed wings.
The iridescent body
tapered, weightless.
The complexity of flight
in microscopic muscle, and speed-of-light nerves;
hovering, darting,
balancing utterly still.

Dragonflies are hunters
on the wing.
So I imagined being accompanied
by my own personal servant,
a quiet retainer
who patrols our space
for biting insects, nuisance bugs.
A master class, rarely glimpsed
in the aerial choreography of the chase.

I was shirtless, but felt nothing
on my unprotected skin.
Such a delicate touch, perching lightly
on legs as thin as spider silk.

And in an instant, lifting-off;
its flight, a marvel
of evasion and stealth.

No comments: