Saturday, July 29, 2017

This poem was recently revised, and due to formatting problems has been re-posted out of chronological order.



Haberdashery
Aug 20 2010


I have a single suit
to my name.
I bought it for a formal occasion
so long ago
it’s almost stylish again.

When my father retired
he owned dozens,
a walk-in closet
of IBM blue, executive black,
pin-striped, glen-checked
flannel, and herring-bone.
And with reckless pleasure
he swept them off their reinforced rod
and on to the Sally Ann.
So now, well worn men with drinking problems
stumble into flop-house cots
in fine Armani attire,
mumble along in chorus
to rousing hymns
like good Christian soldiers.

My father never wears a tie, anymore.
Wonders why, for so long
he did.

I’m afraid when they find me
cold and stiff,
I’ll be shoe-horned into that orphaned suit, itchy and crimped
tugging at the knot at my throat.

If it weren’t for weddings and funerals
I’d burn the damned thing.
Please, dispatch me by fire, too
when my time is up.
And dress me as I began,
unencumbered.

I’ve never been in style.
At least the suit was
once.

No comments: