Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Sinking Fast - March 12 2024

 

Sinking Fast

March 12 2024


The world has gone insane.

So much so

I’ve started to distrust

my own basic sanity.


But if truth doesn’t matter.

If reality’s in flux

based on where you stand.

If the news

is mere confabulation,

we’ve stumbled into quicksand

and are sinking fast.


What else

when rumours are rampant,

conspiracies corrupt,

and fear prevails?

When most everyone is trapped

talking back to themselves?


So I’ve given up planning.

No longer badger them

to come to their senses.

And fear that next, I’ll abandon all hope

this will pass

and we’ll land on solid ground.


Meanwhile, I’ve thrown up my hands

and decamped to the wilderness.

Out of range,

out of touch,

out of mind.

A chance, however improbable

to restore mine

to some semblance of sanity.


Before the final crash

sinks us all.


A good example of sound (a single rhyme) taking me by the hand, then letting it guide me through the poem from start to finish.

There is only so much of Trump’s depravity, stupid wars, climate calamity, and rampant stupidity I can read about before I can’t help putting down an opening line like The world has gone insane, knowing that such self-indulgent ventilation is more suited to prose, and unlikely to make much of a poem.


No comments: