Saturday, November 18, 2023

Dark Skies - Nov 15 2023

 

Dark Skies

Nov 15 2023


The sky here is dark.


It's unnerving to think

how far I've travelled

to find it;

absence

in a world obsessed by abundance,

and where we are uncomfortable

alone with ourselves.


Of all that we've lost

in our endless striving,

dark skies may be the least of it.

But when I lie on my back

looking up

at the star-filled heavens

reaching back through time,

I think of poetry

and dispossession;

where less is more

and absence clarifies.


The brilliant stars

sharper than I've ever seen,

and the blackness between them

too deep for words.

But there is no place for black

on the visible spectrum,

no dimension

of nothingness

I can truly comprehend.

The dark matter, and dark energy

they say fills the universe

must be black as this,

absence

perhaps as beautiful

as surfeit and excess.


What I cannot see,

yet still can't look away.


No comments: