Sunday, July 10, 2022

Customer Service - July 10 2022

 

Customer Service

July 10 2022


The usual wait

at the customer service counter.

Refunds, exchanges, complaints.

People lugging torn boxes

used products

defective stuff.


Saturday morning,

a time for chores

as well as stewing in line.

Staff, in company T-shirts

lounge behind the counter,

chatting

flirting

bent over paperwork

taking their time.

While customers

mutter and glare.


One flustered girl

is left tending the line.

She has a forced smile

and beleaguered air,

pony tail flying

chewed pen

gripped in her teeth.

Her nimble hands

dance over the keyboard,

a landline

is tucked between shoulder and ear.


She is both efficient and polite.

Sympathizes convincingly.

Awards refunds

to grateful customers

as if they were lottery wins.

Who says there is no such thing

as multitasking?


She has my vote

for employee of the week.

I suspect she will manage the place, some day.

While the rest

who seem to be “on break”

all the time

will be facing irate customers

until the day they retire.


I told her I'd misplaced my receipt.

She refunded me anyway.

As I said, damned good at her job!


No comments: