Saturday, August 6, 2022

Beautiful Music - July 11 2022

 

Beautiful Music

July 11 2022


If it isn't winter

it's road repair season.

So we complain,

not only about the potholes

but the potholes being fixed.


Although this is even bigger,

the whole road

dug-up and rebuilt.

Traffic stops/starts/stops,

funnelled into one narrow lane

each way.

Hot sun

ripples off the pavement

dust chokes the air.

Heavy engines rev

bulldozers rattle

embattled workers shout.

Tempers are short

the wait long.


Behind the city bus

the car fills

with diesel exhaust

and I'm feeling claustrophobic.

Late, I keep looking to my watch

as if this will change anything,

eye the gauge

for over-heating.


When cool jazz

comes on the radio

Miles Davis playing,

sweet and soulful

and in no rush.

How many decades have passed

since these vibrations were caught

and saved for posterity?


I sit and listen

reflecting on my spoiled day.

Which will be forgotten

in a couple more,

just as asphalt crumbles

cars are scrapped

schedules get disrupted.


While beautiful music lasts.

And this performance

is the perfect distraction

a soothing balm.

So with the A/C cranked up

and my eyes drifting shut

I lean back, and surrender to it,

head resting comfortably

and all the tension in my neck

letting go.

And as I listen

the dust seems to settle

the bus becomes a blur,

the din

of steel on steel

mercifully recedes.


Until the honking

startles me back to now.


As if I could go any faster, I think,

annoyed at the jacked-up truck

panting at my bumper,

its Confederate flag

dead black paint

and custom gunrack

looming in the rear view mirror.

So I inch ahead

only to stop

bumpers almost touching

a few feet further on.


A poem about the frustrations of city life, stupid drivers (by how hard they still drive — jackrabbit starts, racing up to red lights — I don't see why everyone's complaining about the price of gas!), and the balm of music.

(Although I confess, the “Confederate flag“ reference may have lacked a certain subtlety. A little too on the nose!)


No comments: