Tuesday, May 8, 2012


In another life …
May 8 2012


In another life
I will be rakish, louche, dandified.

I have always felt apart
but in a way that was wanting, lacking,
like looking through one-way glass.
Sometimes, painfully scrutinized.
At others, nose pressed-up
excluded.

But in the hypothetical future
I will dress outlandishly
not give a damn what they think.
I will seduce the ladies
with wit, and charm
rhyme, and gallantry.

I will die young
or ancient, doddering.
I will be 95
and die in bed,
shot by my lover’s jealous spouse.
A superannuated poet
who left life
as he led it.

A bit of fun with the poet as caricature. Perhaps channelling a smidgen of Oscar Wilde.

But really, the only reason I wrote this poem was that I wanted to use that wonderful word “louche”, and couldn’t think of any other way!

No comments: