Wednesday, May 9, 2012



To Miriam
May 4 2012


An old girlfriend
put in these modest beds
for me.
She once worked summers
in her mother’s greenhouse
and knew about plants.

But she had trained as a geologist
then nurse,
went from inanimate bedrock
to soft, and perishable,
from hardy perennials
to touchy annuals.
Demanding plants
whose gaudy blossoms
don’t last long.

I should say former
in case she reads this;
because none of us
likes to be called old,
no matter how true it is.
Anyway, I think of her each April,
when crocuses poke through snow
alarmingly green,
their blooms defiant
in cold bleak spring.

I did not tend this garden well,
under the illusion
perennials take care of themselves.
Yet the flowers surprise me, each season.
as if I’m expecting them to fail.
Needless to say, I also neglected her,
the constant gardener
who was good at taking care.

How little it takes.
Add water, pull weeds
make room for sun.
Especially the light, this time of year
so thin, but clear.
Which not only sustains
but illuminates,
unforgiving
in its glare.




One of my few autobiographical poems. After all, it would have been too easy to just make up the convenient progression from horticulture to geology to nursing. I don’t think the poem works very well unless you know this is true.

I should mention that I am so bad at gardening, I’m not even sure if those are crocuses. All I know is that they come up ridiculously early, and that crocuses do as well. Simple syllogistic logic! They have stems like lilies, and pale yellow blooms.

No comments: