Monday, May 14, 2012


The Fullness of Time
May 12 2012


In the fullness of time
I hear myself say
again.
A measured step back
from urgency, self-importance,
the messed-up priorities
we fix on.

I suppose time
attains fullness
at the end of a life.
Because we are all solipsists,
and the universe stops
with us.
So on my deathbed
if I am privileged to die with grace
will I achieve the wisdom
of this tired refrain?
The distillation
of what truly counts,
as the clock ticks down
to darkness?

It’s hard to imagine revelation, clarity
in the panic, and pain
of nearing the end.
Because how many die peacefully
in bed,
having answered the final question?
No, I cannot wait
for time to be filled
the sands to empty.

Which is why I caution myself
to pause,
consider the fullness of time
the deathbed regret.
The trajectory of a life
interrupted.

No comments: