Thursday, May 3, 2012


Cycle
May 2 2012


Dusk comes quick.
Suddenly cool,
as if the blanket of air had thinned
let light slip through
its flimsy threads.
I gather my collar
close to my neck.
Shadows lengthen, smudge
as a soothing greyness covers-up
the messiness
of hard-edged day.

The rocks are hot
and I cup them with my hands,
like a holy man
offering-up
his benediction.
The soothing heat
penetrates deep,
to skin, and blood, and bone.
Ancient rocks
worn smooth
over eons,
where water once flowed
to some primordial sea,
turned to rain
and fell again.
The infinite patience
of nature,
where cycles nest in cycles
and rain must fall.
Tomorrow, the weather will change.
I can feel it in my bones.

Long before dawn
the rocks will have cooled.
Until the next clear day
when they will bask again
in unobstructed sun,
soaking-in warmth.
Save it up
for the chill
of night.

Smooth rocks
I can’t help touching.
Like sun worshippers, turned-up to the sky
they are quiet observers of time,
storing, and releasing heat
softening the cycle.
The seamless succession 
of night and day.
Water rising,
the fall of rain. 

No comments: