Thursday, October 6, 2011

Small Luxury
Oct 5 2011


The slender vase
of fresh flowers
is clear glass.
Elegant in its proportions,
with simple unornamented lines.

The table top is also clear glass,
and I see it in a shaft of light
in a crisp transparent autumn.
Tiny bubbles
adhere to the long green stems,
their colour intense
as if magnified.
Flecks of dust
radiant in the sun
move aimlessly above it,
weightless, energized.

I can see the waterline,
the flimsy meniscus
creeping up the side,
the unaccountable attraction
of water and glass.
And a fallen leaf,
held up as if repelled
by the force of the liquid
the unbreakable surface.

The deep red blooms,
succulent, fresh
all bunched together.
Velvet petals
too delicate to touch,
and the heady redolence of rose
as I move in closer.

I sent these to myself,
as I do every week 
refreshing the vase
completing the room.
The small luxury
of something utterly useless.
Perishable, and delicate
I am reminded how transient this is,
how contingent
the future.
Effervescent water
that ever so gradually
goes turbid
stagnant.
The brief beauty of roses,
the fragility of glass.

Which is also a liquid,
flowing so slowly
I will not live long enough
to notice.
A liquid that contains a liquid
sitting on a clear glass table.
Virtually invisible
were it not for the luminous reds and greens.
Primary colours
that seem to radiate light.

A still life,
that only seems that way.


In this poem, I feel I've gotten tantalizingly close to what I’m almost always trying to attain. All the things I look for:  microcosm …close observation …the intimacy of the first person, without being obtrusive, self-absorbed, confessional (or actually personal!) ...and using the particular to illuminate something universal, yet managing to avoid sounding either pretentious or sentimental. Minimalism …hmmm; maybe not so much!

As usual, not at all autobiographical. What happened was I read an obituary, and in it they said she sent a fresh bouquet to herself every week (with a card that read “from me, to me”) and I thought how vivacious and original and defiant! Then it was just a matter of  painting a picture in words, and seeing where it took me.

No comments: