Friday, October 7, 2011

Posterity
Oct 7 2011


This is a true story
of crime, and consequence.
The dark art of graffiti
which he practiced in the subways of New York.

In Pompeii, graffiti have outlasted
vast and glorious Rome,
preserved
by congealed mud, volcanic ash.
The same juvenile braggadocio,
the same rabble-rousing bad-mouthing slanders,
but in Latin, of course.

And in the caves of France
prehistoric children
marked the walls with their hands,
fine-boned fingers
clear enough
to guess their age.
Wondering who they thought would come
and seeing what
in the subterranean darkness?
Or if their art would last
so unimaginably long.

So this young man
hauled ladders and spray cans
into the cold dripping labyrinth,
rolled-on
a white latex canvas
and left his tag.
Not the usual graphic flash
rivals taunted, showing-off,
but his entire autobiography
written down.
More than 200 instalments
all over Gotham’s dark underground,
where no one could read them at all. 

I imagine he needed
to leave his mark.
Shout into the silence
the indifferent dark.
Or find some closure,
setting down his story
then letting it go.
As if the act
of having written
was sufficient,
the unheard confession
of verse.

He was eventually nabbed,
for public mischief
the impersonation of a maintenance man
in pilfered clothes.
I’m not sure
if his words will stand.
If a thousand years from now
archaeologists will pump-out the tunnels
disinter the walls,
and presume to know us all
by this singular man.

Which leaves me to ask,
is graffiti art
was he a vandal?
And who is this man
who defaced public property
in the underbelly darkness
of New York?
Who tried to erase
his faceless obscurity,
proclaiming himself
to bored commuters
in a noisy blur.
Steel on steel, screeching through curves,
returning home
then back to work.


I had the urge to write a poem about the act of writing:  the pure joy I feel when I’m immersed in words, the creative fire. The act of writing itself. The satisfying finality of having written. I thought I might do something on the conjugation of the verb “write”.

Then I remembered this piece I’d heard on the latest edition of the podcast/NPR radio show This American Life. The theme was cat and mouse. The story – at true one – was exactly this. Which is how I began:  like a pulp crime thriller.

As I listened, I thought about not just his resourcefulness, but his neediness:   how squelched and invisible and  unimportant and futile he must feel, as if he had spent a  lifetime shouting into the wind. And what drives us to seek out posterity. And how we seek meaning in seemingly quixotic acts. And isn’t this the highest expression of art:  the purity of something created for its own sake, for which there is no expectation it will be admired, rewarded, or even seen.


As if the act
of having written
was sufficient,

Which may not be the best line, but I think best captures my original intent.

Talking about getting off a good line, I like the off-centre humour of this one:  " ...the impersonation of a maintenance man". Of all things, who ever impersonates a menial manual worker?!!

I'm not thrilled with the title. I suspect I've used it before. It sounds kind of pretentious. And perhaps it gives away too much of the as yet unread poem. Suggestions are welcome.   

No comments: