Friday, October 28, 2011

Carry On
Oct 27 2011


I jog on grass
on cinder paths
in manicured rows.
Granite stones, and marble
flashing past,
fresh cut flowers
that will not last.

How many years
to weather this rugged rock,
names and dates worn-off
to a smooth dull finish?
I sometimes stop
and trace a stone with my hand,
the cool surface
inscrutable words,
families, forgotten
ancestors lost.
I gather they frown
upon joggers
in this public place
full of private sorrows.
So I tread softly
and carry on.

In one far corner
where the ground drops off
into dense brush
a frugal creek
I come across smaller stones, set oddly closer.
Children do not die
nearly as often now.
But back then families were large
and seemed more accepting of death,
early ends, almost expected.

I take my time, and read their ages,
sentimental inscriptions
cherubic angels.
A small cemetery
within a large graveyard,
within a middling city
that carries on.

And where I jog,
until I go to my rest, as well.
I do not mean
to be disrespectful.
I believe I honour the dead
with effort, and sweat
a life well-lived.
And think of the children
loved, and missed.


I no longer jog. And I only jogged there a couple of times, at most. But I still remember the poignancy of coming upon those small stones, in an overgrown corner, set slightly off. I love exploring old cemeteries, deciphering the old headstones. As for me, I’d rather be thrown into a cardboard box and buried in the forest, at the foot of a tree. No grave marker necessary.

No comments: