Wednesday, October 19, 2011

One Clear Shot
Oct 18 2011


I had the deer in my sights.
Squinting through the glass, the circle of light
it filled my vision.
As if all of existence
had constricted down
to a single beast.

A magnificent buck
8-points, scarred from the rut
pawing the ground
snorting steam.
It swung its head slowly
to and fro,
testing the air
perhaps vaguely aware
of my presence.

It stood motionless,
balanced on the thin black line
of the cross-hairs,
as if on the cusp
of life or death
and I would be the instrument.
Knowing a bullet is simple
my distance, safe.

I had intruded into his woods,
the fugitive snow, the wet and cold
branches skeleton-bare.
This wilderness
all he’d ever known,
the territory he’d fought for.

I watched
as if privileged,
held him in my sights, lost all track of time.
At the zenith of life,
his feral power
fierce
with testosterone.

When a branch snapped
and he looked directly at me,
a dominant creature
unwilling to flee.

I could not pull the trigger.
The buck went free.

Which is when snow began to fall,
soggy crystals
clouding the lens.
I never hunted
again.


This poem started with a piece by the novelist David Adams Richards, published in the Globe’s Focus section of Oct 15. It was entitled A View to a Kill, and I think it was an extract from his just released memoir Facing the Hunter. Either that, or a teaser for it.

Anyway, the story is all his. But I process things differently, and his prose style just didn’t seem tight enough for me. So I have shamelessly appropriated his experience, but rewritten it in my own way. All credit goes to David Adams Richards; while I will assume modest credit for this small poem.

I used the same technique here I used in a previous poem about a deer, which may have passed unnoticed, or seemed unintentional The subject starts out “it”, but in the 4th stanza transforms into “he”:  as the hunter becomes obsessed with awe and admiration for this magnificent animal,  the generic “it” will not do. The buck becomes personified and honoured with the more exalted “he”.

No comments: