Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Made by Hand
Oct 15 2011


Get a hobby, I was told.
All successful people
have one.
It will do you good
make you less morose.

Music, though, would offend the neighbours,
the painful strains
of the tortured viola.
And art seems a waste
    really, is there anything left to paint?
So I thought about things made by hand.
Of the pleasure
of esoteric knowledge,
of immersing myself
in something small.
Like bee-keeping, brick-laying
messing about with wood
   — the satisfaction
of mastery
over the physical world.

So far, my hobbies consist
of cataloguing life’s minor annoyances.
Firing-off
letters to the editor,
that must have got lost in the mail.
Leaving stale crusts
on the deck
for hungry squirrels.
Which they’ve now come to expect,
busily chattering
with a vaguely threatening edge.

Trouble is, the older I get
there’s less and less
that interests me.
Even sex
has withered.
And young people
fail to impress
    the age-old lament
of successive generations.
While my so-called contemporaries
endlessly kvetch
about the expected infirmities
pension cheques.

So I have settled on poetry,
which no one reads
and keeps me from feeling my age.
Or at least as young as all that verse
stuffed into bottom drawers,
in adolescent journals
angst-filled
lovelorn.

Some have mistaken this
for autobiography,
my ill-tempered rants
for disappointments past.
But as poetry, my annoyance ascends
to the lofty status of art
    embellishment, and fakery
disguised as creativity,
the artful lie.

Yet no less substantial
than brick and wood,
honey from my own backyard.
The artisanal,
things made by hand.
That may even out-last
us all.


I think the immortal Winston Churchill not only painted, but also layed bricks and raised bees. Perhaps that's why this unlikely assortment of potential hobbies came to mind. He was a great wordsmith, of course; but as far as I know, more adept at prose than poetry.

No comments: