Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Skipping Rocks
Oct 26 2011


How many tries did it take
to skip my first stone?
At an age
when wonder was possible.
Before the world would become mundane
stopped surprising me.

Rocks sink,
and an unsuspecting boy
could also drop
through insubstantial water
and drown,
diving blind, unsupervised.
The treachery of water
as I had been told;
yet not always so.

A gentle chop to the surface
the ripples a purchase
for rocks,
smooth and cool in my hand
from a million years
of washing up and down the shore.
Or a dazzling mirror, as hard as tempered glass
that can counter-act
the law of gravity.

My record is 7,
until it stutters to a stop
and vanishes
for another million years.
Like Zeno’s  paradox
the arrow that goes half the distance, then half again
and never gets to the end.
At least as far
as theory goes.
And the rock
losing distance with every skip,
and me imagining
it never quite finishes.
An unsinkable rock
that may be out there, still.

Now, all grown-up
I sometimes feel I'm that smooth flat rock
skipping across the water,
the mirrored sky
the glare of light.
But never breaking the surface
penetrating deeper.
The perpetual mystery
of the bottomless lake,
its cold dark depths.

I don’t remember how many times;
but I recall feeling triumphal.
That I had acquired
this compulsive knack
that would serve a lifetime.
That I had the power
to overturn the laws of nature,
if for just a second, or two.

A mere child
toying with all the rules.
When the entire world
was delightfully new.

No comments: