Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Roof of the World
Aug 16 2011


I live in the heart of a forest.

I am enclosed by trees.
By shades of green
that have never been named.
And could never be,
constantly changing
with the time of day
the height of sky
the angle of sun, in season.
The earth is flat
but my geometry is vertical,
holding up the roof of the world
keeping me small.

I am not sentimental enough
to hug them.
Their strength, and age, and stillness
are sufficient comfort
without such self-indulgence,
an indignity
unworthy of trees.
We co-exist
on property deeded to me,
but they are not mine.
At most, I’m a custodian,
shepherding them through
my brief tenure here.
Or does it work the other way around,
that I lean on them
for peace, protection, sustenance?

Lightning struck the white pine
next to the house.
It toppled slowly,
going as gracefully as it stood
for more than a hundred years,
as generations of men
came, and went.
It felt like an avalanche
when it landed,
in a shower of needles, shattered branches
a jagged smoking stump.

I mourn this pine, and miss it.
But death is different
in a tree.
The roots are still alive,
seeking sunlight
pushing up shoots.
And the fallen trunk
will return to the soil,
still part
of the living forest.

And I am grateful
it leaned away,
sparing me and my house.
Where the power went out
just as it was struck,
the hands of the clock
stuck
on the exact second.
Perhaps a sign of respect
a memento mori;
like half-mast-flags, a black crepe sash
in a funeral procession.

But this tree is its own epitaph
a perfect marker.
So I look forward to the change of season.
When the first light snow
will make a festive cover,
a soft white cloak
glittering in winter sun.

And then into spring,
when the indolent heat
of decomposition
will lift its shroud of snow,
and mark a new beginning
of life.

No comments: