Saturday, August 27, 2011

The First Day it Felt Like Summer
Aug 23 2011


My calendar came
with all the festive occasions
set.
Secretaries’ Day.
When the clocks turn back.
Take your children to work.

It was me who added
the first day
it felt like summer
had finally come.
Spring thaw,
the day I saw
the first green grass in months.
The patch of yellow
in the dregs of August
and thoughts of fall.
That full moon the power failed,
and we sat outside
in silver light
for hours.
When the snow
finally stayed.
When your message came,
and I couldn’t bear
erasing it.

Firsts, and lasts.
Taking me back
from memory to memory,
like stepping stones
across the river of time.

But mostly
it’s calm patches,
the flat water
that connects the rocks
all looks the same.
Crossing-off days
flipping page after page,
lazily drifting downstream.
The time
in between.

Then the end of the year
when everything shifts,
so many calendars
arriving as gifts
from retailers, and politicians.
And time
seems infinitely promising.
It happens
in deepest darkest winter,
when I can’t help but think of
all the calendars
I didn’t save.
The daily logs
of minor triumphs
now forgotten,
and harder losses
when life went on
regardless.

An old calendar
takes me back
to where the stream narrows.
Where it’s shortest to cross,
but the water’s fast
and rocks treacherous.
And where the far side
is a slippery slope
of self-pity
nostalgia
regret.

And a fresh new calendar,
with postcards of nature
and glossy white paper.
Where no dates are set
in stone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

poetic genius !