Monday, August 15, 2011

A Dull Thud
Aug 13 2011


It’s the sound
that takes me back.

There is an image, of course.
A series of stills
caught in the high-beams
in the deep of night.
How that cold white light
bleeds the warmth from colour,
leaves things bloodless.
As a deer, down
skitters and skids
on rain-slick pavement,
staggers to its feet, bounding into the trees
on adrenaline, and shock.
Where it will stop, panting hard
to lick its wounds.
Or die, in the fullness of time
on the forest floor.
Where wild things
pass quietly.

The heavy thud of meat,
blood, sinew, gristle
against moving steel.
In a blur, out of nowhere,
tires smoking
the car, nosing down.

This sound brings me back 30 years.
Someone’s dog
who was there, and gone
in an instant.
A dull thud
or should I say feel
from the right front bumper,
the rough impression
of something reddish-brown.

I was young, and fearful
and carried on,
the wheel, tightly gripped,
eyes fixed
on the broken white line.
On overdrive
to the vanishing point.

But I’ll still can’t bear the suffering
of that luckless dog,
whom someone surely loved.
The suddenness.
The sickening thud.
The helpless fluster
and guilt.

As I said
the deer picked itself up,
loping off
on long graceful legs.
I want to believe
she is no worse for wear,
will grow up wary
and safe.

If only I could apologize
for that cringing dog
in that faraway place
left alone to die,
no one to comfort
or save him.
But there is no way
to make up for this.
And anyway, injured dogs bite,
and it was dark, and late
and I was clueless.
And like most people that age,
still unacquainted
with death.


True story. Not much to comment on.

Except that on reviewing the piece just now, I wanted to make sure I’d kept my pronouns straight:  that the deer was consistently either “he” or “she”. Which is when I noticed that I use “it” in describing the incident, and then in the 7th stanza – when I return to the story – “it” has transformed into “she”. Actually, I rather like this. Because the first part is detached and descriptive. And then, when I return, it’s more about my emotional  reaction . So it seems suitable that the deer is personified, or anthropomorphized, in this way.

And all true, except for the usual poetic licence. There was no rain that night. But “rain-slick” works acoustically; and certainly adds an appealing kind of noire-ish atmosphere. And, of course, bumpers these days are crappy plastic, not steel. But really, doesn’t cold hard steel convey so much more than chintzy plastic? (Surprisingly, the plastic didn’t break.)

My favourite parts are “Where wild things/pass quietly” and “on overdrive/to the vanishing point”.

There is terrific pathos to this image of a wounded animal dragging itself to some quiet protected place in the deep dark forest, to die alone. And something dignified and stoical –  resigned, to the “fullness of time”. Not how we see our own deaths, or how we often die. But perhaps more sensible.

And I like this idea of the vanishing point:  a term that conflates the optical illusion at the far end of vision with vanishing, escape, flight. So I get this image of seeking to disappear into the infinitesimally small point of convergence in a scenic painting. This is full of ambiguity and illusion:  how 2 dimensions simulate 3; how art simulates life; how there is no escaping through what is really just a piece of stretched canvas; and  how a painting persists, so you can’t help but return over and over to the exact same image. Which is much like memory, re-visited.  

No comments: