Friday, August 19, 2011

The Joy of Getting Lost
Aug 19 2011


I came without maps.
I would not ask
directions.
And with all attachments
agreeably severed,
I had no end
in mind.

This is the joy of getting lost.
When you’re free
to re-invent yourself.
When you’ll  make the best of it,
because where you are
is as good as anywhere else.
When you will be found
by strangers,
may even find yourself.

Time will serve you,
not the other way around.
When first light, and sunset
are all that really count.
And stop, when your body-clock says,
time-out
for food and rest.

You will walk softly
down back roads, and garden paths.
You will keep to the shade
won’t fight the rain
can never be late.
You will learn something new
every day
you are out.

I made the mistake
of trying to escape
from myself.
Because this is the one constant
geography cannot solve.
You may seek out the wildly exotic
pack as light as possible,
but still will bear the baggage
that was weighing you down.

How odd
that travelling alone
the conversation never stops.
So try not
to talk to yourself
so much.
Listen more
than you’re accustomed;
puncture the bubble
get out of the rut.

Find someone
who will keep the journey fun.
Who also is not rushed
or quick to judge
afraid of touch.

Desire comes
in unfamiliar places.
So give in
to the wanderlust
that pulls you under.
Make love
in a foreign tongue.


I was quickly flipping through the Travel section of the weekend paper (quickly flipping, because -- contrary to the earnest poetic imprecation -- I'm a very reluctant traveller!) and noticed this headline:  The Joy of Getting Lost. Which immediately suggested all kinds of possibilities:  of lost and found; of finding oneself; of  freedom; of receptiveness to new experience. 

There is something very exhilarating about setting out with no itinerary; of being out of touch (especially in this age of constant contact); of relinquishing control.

I guess I'm lucky. I manage to travel a bit like that, but in my head:  fine adventures, with all the comforts of home!

The voice in this poem changes back and forth a couple of times:  between 1st and 2nd person. So when I address the hypothetical "you", I get to be rather axiomatic and inspirational  -- like an Opraesque poem of earnest self-improvement. And when I revert back to "me", the tone becomes more thoughtful, self-critical, unsure. And, as it usually does, the first person voice more powerfully confers emotional authenticity and authority. Even though my writing is not auto-biographical, I almost always write in the first person; which I think makes a far more compelling read.  

I'm quite pleased with the cheeky ending. Hope it works as well as I wanted it to ... . Although I will admit that I cheated a bit. Shortly after the original version of this poem went up, I heard an interview with Elisabeth Eaves, the author of a new book called Wanderlust:  A Love Affair with Five Continents. She was the one who first noticed (or at least before I did) the delicious double entendre in "wanderlust."  The unrevised version was without the 2nd last stanza; the poem jumped right to the "make love" ending. Which I always felt was a bit abrupt:  a "trick" ending, rather than something with the satisfying feeling of inevitability and resolution. So "wanderlust" made a perfect bridge. "Unfamiliar places" and "under" also contain a kind of double entendre:  the 1st between geography and anatomy; and the 2nd in the sense of what is forbidden, hidden, denied. Anyway, I much prefer this new version. But I didn't want to let it stand without acknowledging my debt to Ms Eaves.

No comments: