Friday, August 12, 2011

The New Normal
Aug 11 2011

The world as we know it
is over.
Until the new normal
is overthrown
once again,
another insurrection
of unplanned events.
And so, we adapt.
The King is dead
   …long live the King!

Except I don’t know the world,
I never have.
7 billion souls, and counting.
How many making love
or falling in?
How many births and deaths
in one more minute?
A cacophony of words
piling on,
until the babble hurts.

A man’s home is his castle,
a minor sovereign
in a small principality.
So I rely on my envoys, and ambassadors
to bring me news.
Which they do,
in dribs and drabs.
I would see for myself,
but we cannot risk the king
in a world, so hazardous.

I promulgate decrees
make plans,
but even these
can backfire
    the law of unintended consequence.
Or I can let things drift,
and hope my tiny kingdom makes it through
survives the palace coup.

Because the revolution is constant
when every choice, or indecision
is a branch in the river;
taken, or not.
So it’s always something new.
And normal doesn’t stop
for long.


We heard these expressions a lot, after 9/11:  “the new normal”, and “the world as we know it is over.” Which is true  …and isn’t. Because this is how it’s always been.  There are no guarantees. Change is the default state.

Every tiny slice of time is a decision point, a fork in the road. Even a small inconsequential decision can completely alter our future course. What is surprising is not the newness; what’s surprising is the relative stability of our lives, and of our roughly predictable futures.

The “king” metaphor to which I call back throughout the piece was a complete accident. I love the sense of diametric alteration in the expression “the King is dead; long live the King!” So when it occurred to me to use it here, it brought along an unexpected gift; one with which I couldn’t resist playing!



No comments: