Monday, August 8, 2011

Latin Monikers
Aug 5 2011


The man from the city
reminded me of Richard Milhous Nixon
walking on the beach.
Photographed in a business suit
and wing-tip shoes,
imagining his stiff mannerisms
shifty speech,
no one could miss
the gawky politician,
so uncomfortable in his own skin.

So this man from the city
in leather loafers, pleated pants,
viciously swatting mosquitoes
as if there was rampant Dengue Fever,
was clearly out of place
in the woods.
All he saw
were shade trees, or evergreen.
And all he heard
were birds.
While I smugly picked out
black spruce, balsam fir.
And mimicked bird calls,
gravely intoning
their proper Latin monikers.

But unexpectedly
it was the fish out of water
who saw the forest
for what it was.
At odds with my conceit
that attaching a name
adds any real meaning.

The same God
who gave man dominion
also gave him the power to name
every living thing.
And led us to believe
that conferring a name
somehow conferred knowledge.
Not the sinful kind, perhaps;
but the illusion of power
can be just as bad.

If only I could unlearn it all,
experience the world whole
instead of taking it apart.
I want to walk barefoot
on the beach,
feeling hot sand between my toes,
its silky give
sinking in.
But instead
I am a disgraced President,
cringingly unaware
of the bigger picture.


I’m referring to a notorious photo of Richard Nixon, which – just as I describe – says it all.

This poem is essentially about reductive science; about illusions of control.

I’m very pleased with my use of cliché – forest for the trees, fish out of water. I love the simplicity and familiarity of cliché. And I think it becomes that much more powerful when something so trite is used to carry a serious and complicated meaning.

Of course I don’t believe in God.  The biblical reference is intended to emphasize – and indirectly question – the conceit of human exceptionalism.

No comments: