Monday, September 5, 2022

Molten Core - Aug 5 2022

 

Molten Core

Aug 5 2022


Just beneath my surface

barely skin deep

scalding magma seethes.


But then, I have always been seismic

tectonic

volcanic,

my eruptions

sudden and fierce.


Toxic ash

fireballs

red hot lava.

Or just a caustic glance

shattered glass

something hammered.


The accumulated pressure

is slow to build

then all at once.

But is also quickly exhausted.

And then I'm left

cooling, depleted, remorseful.


So my apologies

to all those who may have found themselves

within my blast radius,

and were badly singed

or wear the scars.


I fear I will be left an ember,

consuming myself

in hellish fire.

So what will it take

to release the pressure

douse my flame

calm the rumbling after-shocks?

Faith?

Contemplation?

Love?


A higher power?

Something to quiet my roiling mind?

The caring embrace

of her cooling arms?


Or is my bad temper

too essential to who I am?

Would I, like the earth without its molten core

become a dead planet,

at its centre

a stone cold heart?


My temper has actually cooled dramatically with age and introspection. But not today!

Earth's rotating liquid core of molten nickel and iron is what creates its magnetic field, which in turn deflects the sun's ionizing radiation. Without it, there could never have been life on this planet.


No comments: