Monday, September 5, 2022

Geography - July 26 2022

 

Geography

July 26 2022


When I drove across the prairie

into a setting sun,

on a strip of asphalt

straight as an arrow

due west,

I was struck by the light,

the high blue sky,

the feeling of endless space.


Cruise control

one finger on the wheel.


Vast croplands

of blue flax

golden wheat

yellow canola.

Improbable farm machinery

big as factories

advancing in the distance.

They seemed to float over the fields

like ships at sea

steadily forging ahead,

leaving in their wake

a line of fallen swaths.


It's called the Great Plains,

but the land isn't flat

so much as rolling.

I thought I’d miss the trees,

feel bored and exposed.

But instead

I was overwhelmed

by the unfamiliar beauty,

humbled by my smallness

and how good it felt.


Now I understand

why she was always so claustrophobic

in our cozy home,

enclosed by dark green forest

over-towering trees.


Surely this is why she left,

what else could it have been?


We are born to a landscape

it's in our blood.

So she was out of place

amidst rocks and trees

and rain-fed lakes.

Where I've always felt myself

but somehow failed to help

her feel at home.

Geography, I think,

that must be it.


The sun eventually set

in a blaze of orange and red,

leaving a darkening sky

that seemed even more immense.

I drove through the night

stopping once in a while

to step out and stretch,

where I stood looking up

through the dry prairie air

as it rapidly cooled;

a black dome, in all its majesty,

and more stars

than I'd ever imagined.

With even more

the longer I looked.


So many wishes to be made

but I had only one.


I did this drive only once. The memory came back as I read this fascinating piece on grasslands and savannahs (link below).

The images are as remembered. The failed love affair is more an act of imagination. Although since my process is more stream of consciousness than anything, who knows?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/07/climate-change-tree-planting-preserve-grass-grasslands/670583/


No comments: