Saturday, August 6, 2022

Falling Short - July 20 2022

 

Falling Short

July 20 2022


I am no perfectionist.

I was, once,

and for all those years

could only fall short.


So I am reluctantly imperfect.

Because it's still hard to let go

fail gracefully

forgive myself.


But how much worse

are those who believe they are.

The messianic,

the fearless leaders,

the true believers

who never doubt themselves.


How much better

if, as I once did

they over-thought.

Self-critical

instead of deluded,

seeking improvement

instead of praise.


Now, I'm no longer afraid to try.

So what, if I fail;

no one's keeping track

and who doesn't fall short?


Like imperfect works of art

that bear the mark of their creator.

A porcelain vase,

where a thumb left its print

in the wet impressionable clay.

A portrait of a courtesan

whose proportions are slightly off;

the lady unknown

artist forgotten.

Analogies

that go on too long.


Works that show character

and touching sincerity.

And in all of which

we see ourselves.


The human dilemma

is learning to accept

how flawed, and error-prone we are.

How much better

if we chose to worship gods

who were much the same;

imperfect, but well-meant,

and just as they absolve themselves

forgive us, as well.


No comments: