Saturday, August 6, 2022

Hands at 10 and 2 - Jul 15 2022

 

Hands at 10 and 2

July 15 2022


The rental car smelled odd.

A mix of cloying, and chemical

and stale cigarette,

with a whiff of human sweat,

despite the sanitized surfaces

they boasted of,

the non-smoking policy.


It felt small

sat too low.

The door wouldn't close

unless I slammed it shut,

while the hatch stuck

and the uncomfortable seats

were ugly as hell.


I drove it hard,

not so much the racing car

of my fantasies

as the beater I'd always desired.


But on returning it

I said nothing of its attributes

when asked how it was.

Only “fine”

how much?”

and “could I get a lift

back to the body shop?”

Perhaps because it was

perfectly fine;

those jack rabbit starts were fun,

the hard cornering

the not warming up

the winding gravel road.


And back in my own car

it felt like luxury

in my snug familiar seat,

as I backed gently out

eased into traffic

and drove in the slow lane

a little under the limit

hands at 10 and 2.


A fun little trifle.

True story, with the usual elaboration and omissions.


No comments: