Saturday, August 6, 2022

From Darkness Into Dark - July 12 2022

 

From Darkness Into Dark

July 12 2022


Overcast.


There is a heaviness

to this low dull sky,

the greyish-white cloud

and stagnant air.

The uniform light,

so even shadows

are barely discernible.


My mood, as well.

I am anchored here

in my easy chair

unable to move.

Or at least unwilling;

the effort feels overwhelming

there seems no point.


Something needs to change.

A thunderstorm, to clear the air,

the sun, breaking through

refreshed.


A reason

to heave myself up

and leave.


But the only thing that changes

is the slow loss of light,

an incremental dimming

as dusk turns to night.


And still, I sit,

looking out the picture window

from darkness into dark

as if there was something worthwhile to see.

Perhaps a breath of wind

a glint of stars

the rising of the moon.


Which, according to the calendar

is full tonight.

And must be up there somewhere

behind the cloud

shining down on earth.

If only I could see.

If the overcast

would only lift.


The moon's warm white light

reflecting off the cloud

out into deep space.


It's a dull overcast day. I'm sitting in my easy chair, reading on my iPad. I feel too lazy to shoe horn myself up off my seat. So I stay, and write this poem instead. Am I depressed, or is it simply the weather? Inertia? A needed break? The reader is left to decide.

The full moon is actually tomorrow (July 13), and happens to be the brightest full moon this calendar year.

My initial title for this poem was Pathetic Fallacy. As someone who has had no formal teaching about poetry since high school, one of the few terms I actually know!



No comments: