Saturday, August 6, 2022

Party of One - July 17 2022

 

Party of One

July 17 2022


I am not a party animal.


I am not happy

drink in hand

face flushed

swaying woozily,

dispensing inanities

I'm sure will impress,

rambling endlessly on.


Not happy

exchanging pleasantries

about sports and weather.

Not happy

stuck hearing stories

from terrible bores

and lame dad jokes;

my eyes

furtively scanning the place

for better company.


Not happy

trapped in an overheated room,

bad music blasting

unwilling to dance.

Which I can't, anyway.


Forget about neck ties

and shoes that pinch,

defrosted canapés

the dinner I skipped.


No, I am a solitary creature

who emerges at night

in the quiet cool of dark.


Who moves through the world

cautiously circumspect,

acutely aware

it's dangerous out there.

Who takes small furtive steps

and keeps to the underbrush,

careful 

for what lurks in the shadows

hovers overhead;

an ambush predator

ready to attack,

or at best, an observer

keeping careful track.


Who prefers home

to novelty,

and a few close friends

to a Babel of strangers.


Who says little

but has a rich inner life.


A party of one

in a comfortable chair;

chill jazz

playing in the background,

the light turned low

and my thoughts to myself.


Content enough

with a dog to cuddle

curled-up in my lap,

her soulful eyes

looking into mine

happily wagging her tail.



A heartfelt poem for all the introverts and dog lovers out there🙃.

The only untrue part is “says little”. I may be an introvert, but I'm still a big talker and not at all shy. Not to mention that it's more likely baseball than jazz.

The truly unfortunate part is my tendency to over-vigilance (although in that stanza I must confess to getting a little carried away by my clever little rhymes, so it sounds more like to paranoia than mere self-consciousness), as well as my acute sensitivity to things like light and sound and smell.


No comments: