Sunday, February 13, 2022

Turtles, All the Way Down - Feb 11 2022

 

Turtles, All the Way Down

Feb 11 2022


You can't live someone else’s life

I say under my breath,

when I'm accusing myself

of having failed at mine

and need to be rescued from despair.


Knowing the comparison only brings pain.

That I need to accept

I was born this way.

And anyway, feel too old

for whatever's in me

I have the power to change.


Comparison is good, I reply

even needed;

otherwise

you surrender to complacency.


But why "you" instead of "I"?

Why this distancing?

As if self-examination

was anthropological.

As if there was the me I had constructed,

and then the real me, cowering inside;

a small contorted homunculus

hiding under its shell

protected from the world

I address in 2nd person.


Just don't let yourself be fooled, the inner voice retorts

by how people present themselves,

the carefully curated image

the inauthentic smile.

They're also naked inside,

soft-skinned creatures

afraid of the light,

bending under the weight

of lives missed and lives lived

and random circumstance.


So I once again settle

for how I am.


Who I am, who knows?

How many selves

all the various fragments.

Like the turtles

on which the world rests;

it's turtles, all the way down,

no way to know

how far.


No comments: