Monday, February 28, 2022

The Invisible Man - Feb 27 2022

 

The Invisible Man

Feb 27 2022


Would anything change

if my internet was cut

TV unplugged

the papers cancelled?

Does my knowing really matter?

Are my concern, anguish, angst

just to make me feel engaged?

Either that, or self-righteously smug;

a sensitive man

who feels your pain.


I am an informed voter, responsible adult

yet accomplish nothing.

Because the world keeps on turning

without me;

the greed

and the powers that be,

the arc of history

that seems to be speeding to its end

faster and faster

without my help.


So I have retreated

to a small cabin in the woods,

where daily life

is enough to exhaust me;

food, shelter, water

and keeping the fire fed.

The company of dogs,

and old books

I will read again,

gleaning the wisdom

I've either forgotten or missed.

Like a landless peasant

after the fields have been cropped,

scrabbling for grain, and orphaned potatoes,

bruised fruit

before it rots.


Because less is more

and scarcity makes thing sweeter.

Because there is too much to know,

and I have been demoralized

by my futility.


A sabbatical, escape, defeat?

Or a realization

that I am better off withdrawing;

that distance

cannot make an invisible man

any less seen.


No comments: