Thursday, April 1, 2021

Testament - Mar 31 2021

 

Testament

Mar 31 2021


Who doesn't want to be buried

under a tree?


This must be prime cemetery real estate,

and I can just imagine

a gently sloping hill

in temperate shade

nestled among the roots.


But I have my eye on a white pine

down by the lake

that somehow escaped the loggers,

a virgin tree

tall and straight

with fine silver-green needles.

And because, unlike aspen and birch

its leaves are not shed

in the cycle of seasons

it seems an apt metaphor for posterity,

or one, at least, that's good enough

for a man who is not a believer.


But please, no formaldehyde

hardwood box

go-to-meeting suit.

Just a naked body

in a simple shroud

planted in the ground.


Not that I entertain illusions

I'll be reborn as a tree.

Because if living on is possible

it will be in memory, at best,

should I live a life of consequence

and anyone remember.


My only hope

is that my matter will persist,

returning to the earth

and giving life to a tree

and beauty to the world.


No comments: