Saturday, April 24, 2021

Perfect Stranger - April 24 2021

 

Perfect Stranger

April 24 2021

 

She was a perfect stranger.

But then, what stranger isn't?

 

Before you've met,

when you naturally project on them

all your wants and needs and desires.

When she was just hypothetical

and I was free to conjure

my idealized woman,

perfect in every way.

 

Or perhaps it's “perfect”, as in absolute --

when there's not a chance

that you've met before,

or have the slightest sense

of who they are.

 

And later

when the disillusion sets in

and the imperfections are plain

the strangeness remains.

The unknowability of others

when we can only guess.

When even loved ones

remain inscrutable,

and friends and acquaintances

are too distant to say.

How unknowable the other,

and really

how little we know ourselves.

 

Of course, I knew her better when she left.

No longer a stranger, then,

and a long way from perfection.

 

Estranged and flawed.

 

Gone   . . .

     without a word.

 

And for me, a world of perfect strangers

if I'm willing to try.

 

 I enjoy deconstructing clichés:  listening closely to language, then contrasting a colloquial expression with its literal meaning. So there is the perfect stranger, as in absolute and incontestable; and then the perfect stranger, as in an idealized human being.

I think that in the infatuated beginning of love, we are susceptible to this process of projection and idealization. The less well you know someone new, the more perfect they seem. And the more familiar we become, the more we acknowledge the flaws.

I also think that there is this essential unknowability of other people. Even someone we're intimate with. A philosophical question a cognitive scientist might ask is: “How do I know that I am not the only one who is conscious? Who's to say that while I am conscious, sentient, and self-aware, everyone else is simply impersonating a human, that they are all cleverly programmed artificial intelligence machines?” I suppose that would be the ultimate in unknowability:  imagining consciousness, when there is none; seeing depth, when there is really only surface.

No comments: