Friday, April 9, 2021

Early April - Apr 6 2021

 

Early April

Apr 6 2021

 

A few remnants of winter

grimly persist.

 

Small orphaned islands

of soft granular snow

pockmarked with melt.

Their moth-eaten edges

inexorably encroach,

and I wonder if by morning

there will be anything left.

 

They are dotted with small reflecting pools,

sullied with broken branches

wind-blown sand

and the exhausted ash

from all the fires that kept me warm

through a long hard winter,

a tired grey patina

that goes all the way down.

 

Despite the fine spring sun, I can feel a chill

from the layer of cold

that hovers close to the surface.

 

Last night, there was a thunderstorm.

I suppose anything is permitted

in this liminal space

of fitful change

and indeterminate seasons.

Lightning, blizzard, plagues of frogs.

Dense fog,

and even a hoarfrost

to dazzle the eye.

Or hot dry sun,

warming the earth

and softening our hearts.

 

Because I know enough by now

to accept what comes

acknowledge my powerlessness.

Spring, the season of mud.

When I resign myself to fate

and celebrate life.


No comments: