Sunday, August 9, 2020

What the Seasons Afford - Aug 9 2020

 

What the Seasons Afford

August 9 2020


A small white pine,

richly greened

and whip-strong straight

has taken root by the shore.

Where it stands tall

amidst all the spindly spruce and weedy scrub

that, according to nature

will colonize any opening

in this overgrown forest;

like relentless invaders

who worship the sun

and furiously compete for space.


Its mature counterparts

march up the slope behind it,

lofty and elegant

as white pine are;

casting shadow

and holding the soil

and dropping their seed,

of which almost all

will die, if they aren't eaten

or subsumed by earth.


With gratitude, I think of the man

who might have stood in my place

a hundred years before,

when this country was wild and remote

this lake barely known.

Eyeing another upstart pine

and recognizing his transience.

That he would never live

to see it in its prime

as I am thankful to.

That time favours the patient,

who stand their ground

and take what the seasons afford.


What will the world have become

when my pine is fully grown?

Will the prevailing wind

have forged a graceful bend?

Will an abundance of water

have made it tall?

And will there be someone, in turn

to stand in my place,

admiring its height

and strength

and glorious crown?


I am humbled by my trees,

as if I am an intruder here

and they its tolerant sentinels.

Because while they remain

we come and go.


So I will leave it to my descendants

to mark the progress

of this nascent tree;

content to admire its progenitors,

and hoping it will manage to thrive

so exposed and alone

on this rocky shore.


No comments: