Sunday, August 23, 2020

Perfect Weather - Aug 23 2020

 

Perfect Weather

Aug 23 2020


When it's perfect weather day after day

I find myself wishing for rain.


We need change

while also dreading it.

We crave novelty

no matter how ill-prepared.


Because sameness arrests time.

As lethargic

as a muggy day

it seems to move lazily, aimlessly

glacially slow

back to where it started.

Awakening, again

and lounging in bed

in the stuffy hot-house air,

thinking here we go once more

and will this ever end?


You imagine lightning, blizzards, hurricane winds

hail, freezing rain.

Anything   ...but this

numbing Eden

of sun and warmth and bliss.


The sin of ingratitude, I know.

How good fortune makes us complacent,

how easily

we find ourselves bored.


Yet how I relish the coming storm.

When I'll go out in the rain

and turn to face heaven

and greedily drink it in;

hair slicked down,

wet clothes

shrink-wrapped tight around me.

My feet squish-squishing

through puddles and mud

as a chilly wind picks up.


A break in the weather

and time has begun

and it will soon be another month.

The coming season

like a tempting beacon

beckoning us ever on.



I don't envy people who live in places like San Diego, where they could just as well tape record the weather report and replay it every day. How boring. How unappreciative I'd soon become. How I'd not only wish for a change, but crave the adversity and challenge of bad weather: that feeling of triumph you get battling a tough winter, as well as the delicious coziness of being storm-stayed in a raging blizzard. I imagine the movie Groundhog Day, awakening to the same unremitting sun and warmth, feeling as if time had stopped. As if there were no landmarks or milestones. As if you were at sea, going nowhere except on and on.

I know this because even though summer is ending too fast and feels too short (which it is, this far north), I find myself anticipating the coming fall. ...Just a little, anyway. And after a good long Indian summer, of course! (Or is"Indian summer" now regarded as politically incorrect? ...Really? Even this?!!)


No comments: