Sunday, August 2, 2020


Left Behind
August 2 2020


The city was left behind,
its hot pavement
and grid-locked streets
and sadly stunted trees
in dry compacted soil.
Where I am invisible
to the multitudes,
who are too busy to notice
or enraptured by their phones,
and always in a hurry
going somewhere else.

Through holiday traffic
bottle-necked ramps
impassable construction zones,
highways where they keep adding lanes
in a race with cars
that arrive even faster.
Build it, and they will come, Ray Kinsella once wrote
about a field of dreams
amidst the Iowa corn,
never suspecting that road-builders
who dream of blacktop and hot-smelling tar
could read just as well.

Go north, young man
they once exhorted;
yet even old as I am
find I'm still entranced
by escape and reinvention.

Motoring alone
through rocks and trees and a cool breeze
as day recedes and night descends,
a gazillion stars brighten
and a full moon rises.
Impossibly large
on the distant horizon,
its fine-grained surface 
through clear still air.

Where I can stretch
and breathe
and feel the weight of time lift.
Where a ribbon of pavement unscrolls
through the virgin hills before me,
fantastic fireflies dance
their baffling semaphore.



I'm just back from an urgent and unanticipated trip to Toronto, the “big smoke” far to the south of us. My dog was badly injured, and needed emergency veterinary care not available here. 18 straight hours of hard driving each way, stopping only for gas. The city was hot, crowded, and claustrophobic, a perpetual construction zone. I got lost more than once.

Fortunately, the dog was not as badly off as had been feared. So we returned home as soon as possible, and I think this poem captures the relief of the trip. (The multi-lane highway with its stop/go traffic was the 400 between Toronto and Barrie. The beautiful part was 11/17, as it parallels the shore of Lake Superior past Sault Ste Marie.)

There were no fireflies, but I took some poetic licence. Since the cardinal rule of poetry is “show it, don't say it”, what better way to express the lightness of soul and sense of release I felt? The moon was maybe a couple of days from full, which is close enough. And I think the expression was actually “go west” ...but never mind. However, I did motor alone for a good amount of time, despite it being a holiday weekend. Especially in the remotest stretch in the depths of night.

I've avoided talking about the misery (perhaps I will in another poem): the unbearable noise of my little old car; the sore bum and numb foot and bad back; the physical and mental exhaustion; the allergic eyes; the blinding LED lights of oncoming cars; the mountainous ascents; the utter endlessness. But also the beauty. Especially of the north shore of Lake Superior past the town of Marathon, wreathed in fog and a cool liquid light as we emerged just after dawn.

No comments: