Sunday, February 2, 2020


Perishable
Jan 31 2020


I am wearing cool shades
on a dull winter day
inside.

Reclining like a Roman Caesar
under bright overhead lights
in a sleek contoured chair.
Where I wait for the dentist
and hope the freezing takes.

I think how shark teeth replenish themselves.
How a rodent's keep growing,
and if not ground down
will curve through the roof of the mouth
and skewer the brain.
While human teeth are perishable
and must survive a lifetime of wear.

Yet remain after death,
the hard enamel
perhaps our only posterity.
Long after the soil has absorbed
the ornate wooden casket,
its satin in tatters
brass untouched.
After the clothes have turned to dust
bone crumbled
flesh decomposed.

The drill's high-pitched whine
penetrates.
The taste in my mouth
is between chalky and burnt.
The suction gurgles, the dentist looms,
my body tenses
fingers grip.

The glasses dig into my nose
which has now started to itch.
And all I can think
is how many people have worn them before me,
the skin and ooze and oil
of the human condition
sticking to their black plastic frames,
the forced intimacy
so close to my face.

The wasting away
as life goes on.
The shed skin, thinned bone, weakened muscle
as our bodies shrink and slump.
Teeth replaced with metal
a broken molar pulled.

While for now, my eyes
wide with adrenaline
are carefully protected
from harm.



I apologize for another somewhat morbid poem.

But this is the feeling as one ages: that one is obliged to repeatedly overcome a succession of losses. There are the weakened teeth, their enamel thinned and gums receding: teeth that can be repaired, but never truly restored. There is the inevitable loss of muscle, the thinning of bone, the worn-out joints. And there are all the other losses: ambitions unrealized, disappointments in life, loved ones departed, and loves lost.

Yes, age has its gifts: perspective, wisdom, patience; an enhanced appreciation for the small things of life; and perhaps greater success in finding meaning and purpose. And if nothing else, gratitude for having been born in the 20th century: a grateful beneficiary of modern dentistry!

Nevertheless, as the famous actor Bette Davis is reputed to have said: “old age ain't no place for sissies”.

All this is top of mind ever since my hip has deteriorated to the point that replacement can no longer be deferred; since the knee has started to swell up badly with even minimal walking; and since I've been waiting for a permanent crown to replace the temporary that now protects my broken molar. The arrow of deterioration goes in only one direction. We are subject to the iron law of entropy, and our only hope is to keep its forward motion it as slow as possible!

No comments: