Saturday, February 22, 2020


Fear of ...
Feb 16 2020


Fear of getting lost.
A feeling that still shadows you
after all these years.
Ever since that toddler wandered off
amidst a sea of legs,
a shy and anxious boy
reaching up
for the hand no longer there.

As well as of monsters
who hide out in closets
lurk under beds.

Then fear of missing out
fear of being uncool
the fear of losing friends.

Fear of love
fear of sex
embarrassment, regret.
But fear to be unloved, as well
or never loved again.

Fear of loss
and fear of God
and then of consequence.

Of disability
dependency
pain that doesn't end.

Fear of heartbreak
fear of change
fear of bringing shame.

Fear of losing everything
homeless and disgraced.

And not the fact of death, per se
but fear of the unknown.
Wondering if you'll pass alone
bitter, sad, enraged?
Or with your hand held
her arms cradling your head?
And will you take your last breath
with acceptance and grace,
with the wisdom, we're assured
that will come with age?
Or will you die hungry for air
anxious, and in pain
abandoned by your faith?

And will non-existence feel
as familiar as sleep,
the total absence
you take for granted
when you go to bed each night?
Or will it be how time must have passed
before you were born,
the resumption
of an eternity of nothingness
after the brief interruption of birth?

My life has been ruled by fear.
Despite having been told
that actions count, not words.
That I will conquer fear
by facing it
and that there's only fear itself.

Yet still find myself afraid
of monsters under beds,
still find my hand outstretched
to grasp at empty air.



This was a difficult poem to write.

I rarely get political in my poetry, which is understandable. Because poetry is far better at feelings and sensations than ideas and argument.

But it's pretty clear that I also rarely get personal. I may narrate a point of view, but there should be no doubt that I am assuming a persona, channelling a voice, not taking full ownership. Which must seem curious to readers, since many (most?) poets use their medium for exactly that: to express emotion, process personal experience, as a means of confession, and even as a form of therapy. It's all about the personal. It's all about exposure and vulnerability.

So in this poem, I've opened up more than usual. It was risky to write a poem on the theme of fear, because it does get personal. The key line in understanding this is “My life has been ruled by fear”, which is sadly far too true.

And I apologize for once again writing about death. But really, how can one write about fear without engaging with that great singular fear that hangs over all of us almost all of our lives? That part of the poem began as a couple of short lines. Because who doesn't understand and share that fear, and what more needs to be said? But then I couldn't help myself, and it became more of an essay than a poem, monopolizing two long stanzas that ended up sitting at the heart of the piece.

I'm amused by my use of the expression per se. I never use it in speech, so am surprised to see it immortalized on the page! It's an expression I generally intensely dislike. Because it's almost always used incorrectly. And because, even worse, it's often used as mere filler: a verbal tick, like the ubiquitous “like” or “ya know”. But here, it actually does some work: its meaning is preserved; and the rhyme it completes allows the preceding stanza to flow into the next.

No comments: