Monday, February 24, 2020


Good With His Hands
Feb 24 2020


To know like the back of your hand
might have worked for my grandfather
who was good with his hands
and could fix almost anything,
gazing down, day after day
as they performed their labour
until he had them learned by heart.
Not quite muscle memory, but close,
the way each octopus arm
contains its own small brain
working unaware.

I remember his,
big hands
like an awkward farm-boy's.
Tough skin, worn to a shine
where big bulbous knuckles stuck up.
The mottled complexion
and strong tendons
and badly healed scars.
The bent and broken fingers
that recorded a lifetime of work.

And I am surprised to see how similar
my own hands are
at the age he was
when I knew him best.

Still, if called to task
I would never recognize the back of my hand.
Not in this digital world
where all I do is type, eyes on screen.
Where things are discarded, not fixed,
and we see the analog and manual
as impractical, somehow.

Or perhaps the hands of old men
all start to look the same.
And we look away, of course,
not wanting to be reminded of time
or the frailty of age.

His strong hands, where mine are weak.
His ability
and my dependency
on others to master and make.



I find myself occasionally using this expression, and each time comment to myself how absurd it is. Because I most definitely do not know the back of my hand. It may often be in front of my face, but it's one of those many things we see but don't observe.
It also strikes me that this may be as much a casualty of our era as a personal quirk. That we do not work with our hands. That manual labour is disrespected. That we are largely helpless and incapable.

And when I ruminate on the appearance of my hands, I notice things that remind me of my maternal grandfather. He emigrated from Russian. He was handy. He made his living with his hands. And they reflected this lifetime of experience. I imagine he knew the back of his hand very well indeed!

Perhaps we should retire this expression. Or perhaps it will live on, like many expressions that contain their historical origins but are no longer literally true: like “dialing” a phone number on a smart phone; or like reading the news”paper” that's no longer in print but on a screen; or like “pumping” gas when no one currently alive has ever actually pumped petrol as one would water from a well. Squeezing a lever at self-serve is strenuous enough!

No comments: