Monday, February 24, 2020


Keeping Up
Feb 22 2020


I keep up with the news.
As if my civic duty
were to be informed.
Digesting events,
instead of penning op-eds
and doing the grunt work of politics,
picketing
and protesting
and knocking on doors.

So the world goes on
with or without me.
I observe, reason, judiciously weigh.
But see nothing change
despite my vigilance.

As the wise sage once said
if history doesn't repeat, at least it rhymes.
And I find this is so;
that the news isn't new at all, it's old.
Because what would you expect
of flawed humanity?
How we are riven
by belonging and blood.
How we are driven
by power and greed
pleasure and sex.
How the rich get richer
the poor even less.

But the death of a planet?
There are no precedents for this
no end in sight.
Nevertheless
I will diligently follow events
with my usual detachment
until their denouement,
saying I told you so, I saw it from the start.

The flaws of my kind
as well as my own.
Power and greed
pleasure and sex.
Passivity and sloth,
the pride
of self-righteousness.










He seems to have drifted from online activism to couch-based complacency

No comments: